Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System
Schedule a VA Appointment
There are many ways for Veterans to make health care appointments.
- If you don’t have VA health care benefits, you can apply now. Apply for VA health care.
- If you’re having a medical emergency, please call 911 or call the Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255, then press 1.
Schedule an Appointment
Follow the instructions on this page on how to make an appointment by phone at this facility.
VA now offers online appointment scheduling for some appointments. We hope to expand the number of VA facilities and types of appointments in the future.
If you have VA health care benefits, you can schedule your VA primary care appointments online if you:
- Are scheduling your appointment with a VA medical facility that accepts online scheduling, and
- Have had a primary care appointment at that VA facility within the last 2 years, and
- Have a My HealtheVet Premium account or DS Logon Premium account (used for eBenefits and milConnect)
With your online account, you’ll also be able to:
- Track the status of requests
- Send messages about requested appointments
- Get notifications about appointments
- Cancel appointments
Upgrade your Existing Accounts
Scheduling Primary Care Appointments
For appointments at Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System-community based outpatient clinics, contact your assigned clinic http://www.neworleans.va.gov/locations/index.asp for appointments.
SLVHCS is here to assist you in getting an appointment without a long delay. Our goals are simple:
- You should be able to see your primary care provider in 30 days or less.
- You should have faster access to specialty care.
If you have been assigned to a Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT), call them directly to schedule your appointment.
Please bring the following with you to your appointment:
- your insurance card
- a list of your current medications
- your appointment confirmation letter
Changing or cancelling your appointment
Please try to make your scheduled appointments. If you cannot keep an existing appointment, please contact us as soon as possible so we can reschedule you. This will also allow us to schedule another Veteran for the original appointment time.
To cancel or reschedule, call your PACT.
Our No-Show Policy
You are considered a "No Show" if you miss an appointment without alerting the clinic before your scheduled appointment.
Scheduling Behavioral Health Appointments
To schedule, reschedule, or cancel a behavioral health appointment at Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System, or if you are running late to an appointment, please call our call center at 1-800-935-8387.
Walk-in Behavioral Health Evaluations
We are prepared to help you as soon as you are ready. If you feel you need our services, or if you have a referral for behavioral health from another department, just go to the front desk reception area to check in, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. A behavioral health provider will see you that day for an assessment.
Canceling Behavioral Health Appointments
If you won't be able to keep an appointment for any reason, please let us know by calling the Behavioral Health Call Center at 1-800-935-8387 as soon as possible. We would appreciate a call to let us know you won't be coming, even if it's right before the appointment. We will then be able to alert your provider. We might also be able to accommodate you at a later time. Timely cancellations will also allow us to schedule one of your fellow Veterans sooner.
Information to Help You Decide about Where to Receive Your Care
VA has a regularly updated Access to Care website that provides useful information that can help you to decide the best VA location for you to receive your care. Before making an appointment, you can find out the following information for a VA location:
- Wait times for primary care, mental health, and some of the commonest specialties
- If same day services are available in primary care and mental health
- If Telehealth is available in primary care and mental health
- If it has an emergency room
- Facility contact information
- Veteran satisfaction scores
- Quality information comparing each VA and local area non-VA healthcare facilities
VA is committed to give Veterans the access to care they need, when they need it. When you’re planning your care at VA, you can rely on us to give you the information you need to make informed health care decisions.